True love. Many people spend their entire lives looking for it. Others just let everything flow and understand that love will eventually come to them. They understand that you can’t force feelings of love. However, whatever you believe, in this article, we bring you a selection of the best sayings about true love.
Defining true love isn’t easy. In fact, research suggests that people tend to come up with many different definitions of what love might be. Some of them are contradictory. In order to clarify the picture a bit, these sayings about true love will give you some clues to recognizing it.
The best sayings about true love
It was Bauman who coined the concept of liquid love when describing today’s kinds of relationships. They’re relationships in which true love has no chance to germinate. However, if you’re skeptical or uncomfortable with this idea, take a look at some of our sayings about love.
1. “When love is real it finds a way”. (Avatar Roku)
There’s no such thing as perfect love, as you’ll discover as you journey through life. Indeed, you’ll always find obstacles to prevent you from finding true love. However, despite everything, true love will always emerge victorious.
2. “True love, especially first love, can be so tumultuous and passionate that it feels like a violent journey”. (Holliday Grainger)
Love can be both passionate and turbulent. This is particularly relevant in cases of first love.
3. “True love doesn’t happen right away; it’s an ever-growing process. It develops after you’ve gone through many ups and downs, when you’ve suffered together, cried together, laughed together”. (Ricardo Montalbán)
All these kinds of experiences let you know if your love is really true.
By going through both good and bad experiences together, you’ll find out if it’s really true love. The kind of love that continues to flourish through good and bad.
4. “True love is eternal, infinite and always like itself. It is equal and pure, without violent demonstrations: it is seen with white hairs and is always young in the heart.” (Honoré de Balzac)
Youth is undoubtedly what characterizes this demonstration of love. However, when you’re in love, you’ll always feel like it’s the first time. You’ll always have the energy and strength to assert yourself. Providing, of course, that both of you do your part to build it.
5. “The course of true love never did run smooth”. (William Shakespeare)
It never will. Sometimes love seems impossible. Sometimes you’re separated by miles and miles. However, love always wins in the end.
6. “If you love someone but rarely make yourself available to him or her, that is not true love”. (Thich Nhat Hanh)
Have you ever dated someone who says they love you, but never have time for you? The excuse of not having time is a quick and easy way out in order to avoid something. However, deep down, if you really love that person, you’ll do everything possible to be with them.
7. “True love brings up everything: you’re allowing a mirror to be held up to you daily”. (Jennifer Aniston)
One of the phrases about true love that you should think about every day. Two people can only really love each other when they know each other completely, warts and all. Indeed, it’s only true love if you love their flaws as well as their attributes.
8. “Real love means loving kindness and compassion, the kind of love that doesn’t have any conditions”. (Thich Nhat Hanh)
The moment you put conditions on the person you love, you start to restrict them. As we mentioned earlier, seeking perfection in a relationship is never healthy. Furthermore, you’ll never be satisfied.
9. “True love is selfless. It is prepared to sacrifice”. (Sadhu Vaswani)
There can be no real love if there isn’t some kind of sacrifice involved. This may not come at the beginning, but it will certainly eventually come. It’s at this moment that you’ll learn if your relationship is genuine and worthwhile. This is one of the phrases about real love that you should always keep in mind.
10. “To love someone is nothing, to be loved by someone is something, but to be loved by the one you love is everything”. (Bill Russell)
True love simply doesn’t exist unless both partners feel the same. There must be harmony, a balance between loving and being loved. Not perfect equilbrium, since this is almost impossible, but reciprocal love.
11. “Love is friendship that has caught on fire”. (Ann Landers)
We couldn’t not include these words among our sayings about true love. It couldn’t be truer that a person destined to be part of your life must, first and foremost, be a faithful friend to you. In fact, if possible, your best friend. Someone with whom you can do and say anything without feeling self-conscious.
12. “True love stories never have endings”. (Richard Bach)
True love never ends. If the flame’s always lit, the story continues.
13. “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies”. (Aristotle)
A soul that’s found a foothold in the other where it can finally land. In fact, the concept of soulmate has its origin in these words.
14. “True love comes silently, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked”. (Erich Segal)
Don’t expect grand announcements when true love comes into your life. Perhaps therein lies the problem, as you simply might not notice what’s in front of you. Furthermore, if you miss the opportunity, it may never come again.
15. “You know you’re in love when you can’t sleep because reality is finally better than your dreams”. (Dr. Seuss)
True love is a reality that, despite its drawbacks and imperfections, is as close as it possibly can be to the one you’ve always dreamed of for yourself. If this has happened to you or is happening to you now, then you’re experiencing true love.
16. “True love is not a strong, fiery, impetuous passion. On the contrary, it is calm and deep in its nature. It looks beyond mere externals and is attracted by qualities alone”. (Ellen G. White)
Don’t expect to have continuous moments of exaggerated passion, eroticism, or romanticism. In fact, there’ll be quiet, maybe even dull moments. The fact that love is true doesn’t mean it has to be “full-on” every minute of the day and night.
17. “When you love someone you love the whole person, just as he or she is, and not as you would like them to be”. (Leo Tolstoy)
This is one of the biggest mistakes people make when looking for true love. They focus only on their expectations of what their ideal prince or princess should look like. There’s no such thing. Because, if you hold the bar that high, no one can reach it.
18. “To feel the love of the people whom we love is a fire that feeds our life”. (Pablo Neruda)
If the person you love doesn’t nourish your life in different ways, you’re not really in love. In fact, many times the opposite happens. You might think you’re experiencing true love but, in reality, your life’s either deteriorating, plagued with toxicity, or you’ve completely neglected it. Therefore, never be afraid to open your eyes to see reality.
19. “In real love, you want the other person’s good. In romantic love, you want the other person.” (Margaret C. Anderson)
Pay attention to these words. In fact, this could well be the best of our phrases about true love. This is because there’s an insurmountable difference in wanting the best for a person and in just wanting them.
20. “You don’t love someone because they’re perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they’re not”. (Jodi Picoult)
In fact, you learn that even the things you don’t like much about the person you’re in love with makes them who they are. Remember that perfection only exists in your mind. Furthermore, it’s something that can get in the way of your path to true love.
21. “It is with true love as with ghosts and apparitions. Everyone talks of it, and scarcely anyone has seen it”. (F. de la Rochefoucauld)
Everyone pretends to know what true love is. However, in practice, most are not even close to experiencing it. This shouldn’t disappoint you. Instead, it should serve as a lesson for you to be attentive to the signs of true love, so you can recognize it when it happens.
22. “For true love is inexhaustible; the more you give, the more you have. And if you go to draw at the true fountainhead, the more water you draw, the more abundant is its flow”. (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)
This is the reason why love doesn’t ever end overnight. Indeed, some people say true love never ends.
23. “True love cannot be found where it does not exist, nor can it be denied where it does”. (Torquato Tasso)
These words may seem obvious. However, for many couples, they’re not. Nevertheless, trying to force love into your relationship won’t make it show up. Nor will ignoring it make it go away.
24. “Two things you will never have to chase: true friends and true love.” (Mandy Hale)
True love is just as faithful, loyal, and lasting as the truest friendship you’ll ever have.
25. “Real love means remaining truthful, even when you have all the opportunity in the world to hurt someone”. (Michael Hayssus)
The opportunities are always going to be there. However, it’s up to you if you take them or leave them. If you’re really in love, you’ll leave them.
26. “Real love is seeing that the one you love is happy even when you do things for them that makes you unhappy. Because their happiness is paramount.” (Jerry Elijah)
This saying doesn’t mean that you have to abandon everything to make your loved one happy. In fact, it means that you start to enjoy the things that you’re not usually that keen on if they make your partner happy. For example, planning time together around a hobby that they love but you don’t.
27. “We simply can’t abandon ship every time we encounter a storm in our marriage. Real love is about weathering the storms of life together.” (S A Smith)
Abandoning ship in a storm is the easy way out. In fact, sometimes it’s the only way out for the good of both partners. However, you should first examine all the other possibilities. That’s because all relationships face problems at some time or another.
28. “True love does not only encompass the things that make you feel good, it also holds you to a standard of accountability”. (Monica Johnson)
Don’t expect to be permanently feeling maximum levels of happiness when you love someone. In fact, sharing the bad times are an important aspect of true love.
29. “Real love is a permanently self-enlarging experience.” (M. Scott Peck)
This saying gives you a different perspective on true love. It’s a self-enlarging experience. In fact, you seek to improve yourself to reinforce the bond you have with your loved one.
30. “It can only be true love when you enable your other half to be better, to be the person they’re destined to be.” (Michelle Yeoh)
This doesn’t mean forcing your loved one to change. It’s about making them see that, as people, we can always improve some things. Such changes can have a positive effect on our lives.
31. “True love asks no questions, makes no reservations, but puts itself unconditionally into the hands of loved ones” (Paula Marshall)
This saying concerns unconditional love. More words that you shouldn’t forget under any circumstances.
“When you love someone, you owe it to them to help them be the best version of themselves that they can be”.(Colleen Hoover)
With help, you’re always able to show the best version of yourself. You can grow together, making each other better people.
33. “Life is a game and true love is a trophy”. (Rufus Wainwright)
A trophy that’s only meant for those who believe in it. Indeed, if you live your life believing it doesn’t exist, don’t expect to find it.
34. “The real love is the one that makes you forget all the others”. (Marty Rubin)
You’ll forget, to the extent that you’ll no longer long for the time you spent with other people. You’ll focus on the present, how lucky you are, and what you can build with your special partner.
35. “Real love is a pilgrimage. It happens when there is no strategy, but it is very rare because most people are strategists”. (Anita Brookner)
As we’ve already said, you’ll never find pure and sincere love if you plan your actions as if they’re a military campaign. Because true love is almost always spontaneous and unexpected. That’s what makes it so dazzling.
36. “True love, that is, deep abiding love that is impervious to emotional whims or fantasy – is a choice. It’s a constant commitment to a person regardless of the present circumstances”. (Mark Manson)
This is one of the phrases about true love that always hits the spot. The fact that, in the end, it all comes down to compromise. Furthermore, you don’t expect everything to be perfect just because you’ve had to work and strive for it.
37. “True love is not a hide and seek game.; in true love, both lovers seek each other”. (MB Johnson)
If the one you love runs away from you even though you’ve shown them how much you love them, it isn’t true love.
38. “A generous heart is always open, always ready to receive our going and coming. In the midst of such love, we need never fear abandonment”. (Bell Hooks)
Fear of abandonment can be one of the biggest problems in a relationship. Unfortunately, if you’re constantly afraid of it, you’re not experiencing real love.
39. “True love is felonious… You take someone’s breath away… you rob them of the ability to utter a single word…You steal a heart”. (Jodi Picoult)
A romantic way of understanding this type of love.
40. “Love need not speak volumes. It need not demand proof. It never has a happy ending -simply because it just doesn’t end as long as love is pure and true”. (Amit Abraham)
Sometimes words aren’t necessary to describe the connection between two people who truly love each other. Partly because there aren’t enough words to describe it.
41. “People will walk in and walk out of your life, but the one whose footstep made a long-lasting impression is the one you should never allow to walk out”. (MB Johnson)
This kind of person is someone you’re always looking for.
42. “The art of love is largely the art of persistence”. (Albert Ellis)
Difficult moments might make you doubt your lover. Furthermore, enduring several episodes of heartbreak might make you believe that true love doesn’t even exist.
43. “We can only learn to love by loving”. (Iris Murdoch)
There’s no way you’ll ever find love if you’re always rejecting any opportunities that come your way.
44. “True love begins when you accept yourself in your totality. Then, and only then, can you fully love another”. (Amy Leigh Mercree)
This is another saying that really has its finger on the pulse of true love. If you don’t love yourself, you’ll never be able to love others as you really should.
45. “If he can’t handle you at your worst, then he does not deserve you at your best. Real love means seeing beyond the words spoken out of pain, and instead seeing a person’s soul”. (SL Alder)
Read the first part of this sentence carefully and repeat it whenever you find yourself in a similar situation.
46. “Antipathy, dissimilarity of views, hate, contempt can accompany true love”. (Marshall McLuhan)
Not only might they accompany you, at some point, they undoubtedly will. Don’t expect to spend decades in a state of bliss. At the end of the day, even the best relationships, can be a bit of a roller coaster ride.
47. “Only love gives us the taste of eternity”. (Jewish proverb)
Or at least it allows you to rip the fabric that covers it.
48. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it”. (Rumi)
If you’ve created an impenetrable fort around you, don’t expect love to come and find you. Furthermore, don’t let past experiences condition the love you’re able to feel today and in the future.
49. “True love is away from all deception. It can survive in the cracks of the broken heart”. (Ruchita Bahl)
Even a broken heart can mend, bit by bit, in the presence of pure love.
50. “True love is not the number of kisses, or how often you get them, true love is the feeling that still lingers long after the kiss is over”. (Anonymous)
Therein lies the key. Remember, it, always.
That’s the end of our list of sayings about true love. We’re sure that many of them will have evoked memories in you, or made you laugh, or reflect. If you have one that you particularly like that we’ve missed out here, don’t forget to share it with others.
The post 50 Sayings About True Love for You to Reflect on in your Daily Life appeared first on Exploring your mind.